Pumpkin season is in full force at the moment and there is an abundance available. For this reason, we have decided to make the most of seasonal produce by adding pumpkin to our tradition GH Produce Cassava Bread Mix. The addition of roast pumpkin, as well as saltbush, creates a sweeter, more unique blend to the Cassava Bread, making it fluffy, sweet and salty, the perfect combination of flavour and texture.
Saltbush is a very sustainable, native herb grown in drought tolerant areas with higher salinity soils. Surprisingly containing 28% protein, the salt bush has an extremely unique taste similar to sage. This flavour works incredibly well with pumpkin, along with our Rosemary + Saltbush Nuts.
We also use Bush Tomato (also known as the desert raisin) in this recipe, which has a pungent, earthy, slightly bitter, caramel taste, there is nothing like it! The bush tomato is high in vitamin c, dietary fibre, and also works well with pumpkin.
The Pumpkin + Saltbush Cassava Bread really showcases some of Australia's amazing native ingredients. The saltbush and bush tomato are not necessary in creating the bread, however are highly recommended to created the unique, native flavours. If you are looking at grabbing these native ingredients for yourself check out Footeside Farm by following this link: Footeside Farm Shop
PUMPKIN + SALTBUSH CASSAVA BREAD
Makes: 1 Loaf
4 Free Range Eggs
2 Cups Cooked Pumpkin (Roasted in 1 Tsp of Macadamia Oil Until Soft)
2 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
40ml Macadamia Oil (or olive oil)
1 Tsp Saltbush Flakes
1 Tsp Bush Tomato Powder
3-4 Sprigs of Rosemary
Pinch of salt
Optional Toppings: Macadamia Oil, Fresh Salt bush, Rosemary, Pumpkin Seeds, Salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Make sure your cooked pumpkin has cooled, then place in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, apple cider vinegar and macadamia oil.
- Add the Cassava Bread Mix to the pumpkin, along with the saltbush, bush tomato, rosemary and salt, make a well.
- Add the wet mixture to the pumpkin mix and fold through until everything is well combined.
- Use a spatula to transfer the mix into the lined loaf tin.
- Place in the oven for 45mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10mins on a cooling rack.
- Slice it up and enjoy with a slab of organic butter.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, freeze for a month. Warm it up to serve.